John P. “J.P.” Grant
By Karen Cuccinello
The Stamford Village Library history room happens to have a signed copy of “Grants and Their Relations” by John P. Grant, published in 1926. I knew we had the book but never noticed that it was signed by the author. John was an attorney, judge, owner of the New Grant House, active in community affairs and owner of electric companies.
J.P. was born February 14,1853 to Duncan, a farmer, and Margaret Ann (Grant) Grant in Stamford. He had at least two siblings: Duncan Kedzie and James Gibson and was educated in the district school, Walton High School, Trenton (NJ) Model School and Albany Law School. He married Carrie E. Powell (she was born 1855 and died 1935 in Stamford) of Aurora, IL on May 14, 1884. Children: Leslie P. (1886-1914, he had become a lawyer and died in a car crash) and Helen Rae (1888- 1962, Mrs. George D. Taylor).
He became a lawyer in 1880 and listed as such in the 1880 Stamford census while residing with his brother J. Gibson. There was also an advertisement in the Stamford Mirror listing his law office in Hobart.
Chronology of his activities from the news: He is the secretary of the Stamford Fire Insurance Company in 1883; bought property near E.W. Churchill to build a house in 1884; had a law co-partnership with VanZandt Wyckoff 1886-1892; special instructor in commercial law at Stamford Seminary 1887; president of the village of Stamford 1888; Delaware County district attorney 1890-1893; was a stalwart Republican; owner/proprietor of the New Grant House built 1889-90; stockholder in Stamford Water Company; had brief partnership with Andrew J. McNaught in 1899; August 1899 (Brookfield Courier)- Governor Roosevelt has appointed J. P. Grant, of Stamford, Delaware County judge and surrogate to succeed Judge Sewell. Grant will take his seat on the bench on November 1 and will serve until 1901. He moved to Delhi during this time; was elected vice president of the New York State Bar Association 1900; Erwin C. Hanford, druggist, leased and took over management of the New Grant House in 1901; became sole owner of the Stamford electric light plant and Harold T. Birnie, managed the New Grant House in 1902; Owen C. Becker leased the New Grant House in 1904; his West Branch Light and Power Company was incorporated 1906; he and his wife went to Bermuda for a vacation of four weeks 1909; his TriCounty Light & Power Company, in Gilboa, was incorporated in 1912 with just his family as directors and it was built 1913-14 (it ended up in the Schoharie Reservoir in 1925); he had an operation for appendicitis in 1917; Ernest Leroy Jones was proprietor of the New Grant House from 1918-1927.
December 29,1932 (Schoharie Republican)- Hon. John P. Grant county judge of Delaware County died in Stamford December 20. He was widely known as an attorney and frequently tried cases in Schoharie County courts…